Saturday, September 24, 2011

Quick Cook Pasta? Who'da a Thunk It?

I had a wonderfully busy time today at your friendly, one stop shopping place, WAL MART!  I was rustling up some really good grub that I intend to share with all of my readers.  I can't say that I received any new and amazing revelations, or that I observed anything that would cause you to fall out of your chair laughing, but I do have some things to share with you!

For starters, I would like to share with you the recipe that I referred to in my last blog, remember, the one with the rice and the VEGGIES that grown, muscle bound men refused to eat?  Well, it was delicious and housewives everywhere are going to thank me for the recipe!  So, here goes!

Mexican Rice With Bouillon (don't know why they call it "mexican", doesn't seem mexican to me, but what do I know?)

1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups of Instant or Raw Rice
3 Cups of Water
1 Tbsp. Chicken Bouillon Granules
1 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas and Carrots

Heat olive oil in a large sauce pot over heat and cook rice about 2 minutes or until a golden brown, stirring often.  Add water and bouillon and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 20 minutes or until rice is tender (if you are using instant rice, the cooking time will be shorter)  Add frozen vegetables during the last 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and fluff with a fork and you are all done!

If you are feeling especially "international," scramble up some eggs and toss with the rice.  Throw in some diced ham and a little soy sauce, and, VOILA!  You be gettin' yo' chinese on!!

Yesterday, I cooked up some "Tomato Basil Meatball Rotini."  One fella came by and asked what I was serving.  I very plainly and distinctly told him "pasta with MEATballs."  He eyed it, pointed at it and asked, "Does it have meat?"  I just looked at him, toothpick in hand and picked out one of the MEATballs and held it up in front of his face.  What does one do in a case like this?  Sheesh!    The recipe for this heavenly dish is as follows.

Tomato Basil MEATBALL Rotini

1/2 bag, approximately 32 frozen, italian style meatballs
2 Cups of Quick Cook Penne Pasta (yes, I said quick cook!  It cooks in like 3 minutes!  Every woman's dream!)
1 Cup of any brand Spaghetti Sauce
1 Cup of Water
2 Cups of Pictsweet Seasoning Blend (you can find this in the frozen vegetables section)
1 Container of Philadelphia Cooking Cream, Tomato Basil (this will be by the cream cheese)

Preheat an electric skillet to 350 degrees.  Add the meatballs, the pasta, spaghetti sauce and water.  Top with the 2 cups of frozen seasoning blend and cover.  Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring at least every 5 minutes.  Add the whole container of the Philadelphia Cooking Cream and stir.  Reduce temperature to 200 degrees and let simmer, stirring continuously.  When heated through, SERVE!  It is very easy and very delicious!  Enjoy!

I also served up some warm french bread with a dipping sauce.  The sauce consisted of 3 Tbsp. of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 1 Tbsp. of McCormick Perfect Pinch Seasonings.  There are a variety of flavors to choose from.  Just blend, and get to dipping warm slices of french bread into this luscious seasoned olive oil!  Yum!  And it goes great with the meatball rotini.

Well, I should probably go down and help the hubby as he slaves over the garage sale we are attempting to execute.  And then, it's off to work for me where I will be gathering tidbits of advice, recipes, and hopefully some hilarious Wal Mart stories to share with you later.  As Tigger The Tiger so eloquently put it, "Ta Ta for now!  Cept my tails not too springy anymore....... =)

1 comment: