Thursday, March 15, 2012

Out With The Froo Froo And In With The New New

I have always considered myself an old soul.  From my earliest memories I have been fascinated with all things old.  As a child, while others were reading the latest fictional novel containing current, modern day subject matter, I was holed up in my room, laying across my waterbed devouring the Little House On The Prairie series, imagining what it must be like to be half-pint or Ma living out on the prairie like that.  I also wondered if Pa was half as hot as Michael Landon was on the television series?  If so, then I was definitely Ma.

As the years passed, my love for old things progressed and I became downright obsessed!!  My late husband would get so frustrated with me as I brought home old photographs of people we didn't know from Adam, framed them, and displayed them all around the house.  I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked, "Oh, are these your ancestors?"  Only to giggle and respond, "No, I don't know WHO they are!"  Once I even had a friend tell me that the lady in one particular photo looked just like me!  Lol, perhaps that is why I was drawn to that photograph, perhaps she was some long lost relative who died years ago and haunted my subconscious!!  Impossible of course, but it is great fodder for this blog.

Old books, old shoes, old clothes, old tea cups, platters and glassware of all sorts cluttered every nook and cranny of our home.  And who cared about the latest in music and movies?  Give me the old classics any day of the week such as Gone With The Wind and Meet Me In St. Louis to name a few.  And Frank Sinatra, not Tim McGraw, and Doris Day not Beyonce!  The Big Band era songs echoed thru our home, no Christian Rock Bands!  I was at one time so obsessed with English Tea Houses that I transformed our living room and dining room into a regular Tea Room complete with small round table set with delicate dinnerware and antique tea cups and teapots.  I tried my hand at lemon curd, devonshire cream and scones in my very own kitchen as classical music reverberated around me.  I was convinced that I was born to live in a different era.  If there was such thing as reincarnation then I surely hailed from the 1930's or 40's (my favorite era)!

Even when I began to date after the death of Tim I was scouting around for an old guy!  Not like walker, adult diaper old, but rather, slightly seasoned.  You know, the kind of man that has made his fortune and married off all of his children?  A man who totally has the time to fan me with big palm fronds on some tropical island while feeding me grapes and refilling my virgin Pina Colada on a regular basis. THAT"S what I'm talkin' bout!  I had visions of a man with salt and pepper hair..........driving a Jaguar.  Instead, the Lord transformed me into a cougar and gave me a man four years my junior with the prettiest green eyes you have ever seen who drove a Honda!!  Oh well, I guess the Lord knows just what we need!  And I LOVE my juvenile husband and being a cougar aint so bad after all................TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment